Bed bugs usually infest apartment buildings, hotels, dorm rooms, hospitals, offices, movies theaters and homes. Why now? Bed bugs are excellent hitchhiker and spreading rapidly in different parts of the world. They may hide in suitcases and other luggage while travelling and also introduced in your property with second hand furniture.
After reading this blog post you’ll learn how to identify, prevent, and control them safely and effectively.
What Is Integrated Pest Management IPM?
(IPM) Integrated pest management uses pest information in order to choose safest and most effective method of pest control. IPM methods include pest prevention, extermination, and use of nonchemical tools first. If bed bug sprays are needed, pesticides are chosen that pose the least health risk.
IPM starts by asking, “Why bedbugs here?” and then remove the conditions allowing them to enter and live. This pest control approach solves problem rather than just treating the symptoms. It also minimizes the chances of re-infestation and treatment.
Steps for Managing Bed Bugs
Step 1: Bed Bug Identification
Bed bugs are parasites that feed on human blood. They have wingless, flattened, oval-shaped bodies, less than 1/8 inch long and brown in color. They become elongated, swollen, and dark-red after blood meal.
Some people do not reacts to Bed bug bites while in some people they may cause itchy welts. Bed bug bites do not spread diseases but excessive scratching to a bite may lead to secondary skin infections. People who live in a bed bug infested location have mental anguish and restlessness so they cannot focus on their daily work/tasks with full attention.
Bedbugs are difficult to control because small size allow them to hide anywhere like mattresses, bed frames, under peeling paint, and cracks and crevices in walls.
Step 2: Bed Bug Prevention
As bedbugs cannot fly so they are transported through clothing, suitcases, backpacks, mattresses and other furniture. Bedbugs can also walk in from adjacent rooms and apartments through conduits for electrical wiring or plumbing and cracks. They access human by moving up bed legs, bed linens, walls or anything touching the bed.
Preventive Measure Against Bed Bugs
• After travelling always carefully inspect your baggage and clothing. Seal clothes in plastic bags until they laundered.
• Remove clutter from the bedrooms and other parts of home as bed bugs can find places to hide.
• Avoid buying used mattresses and furniture as they may be infested.
• Seal all cracks and crevices of your home (bed bug hide and travel to adjacent rooms by them).
• Never store items under your beds.
• Don’t pile clothes or coats on beds.
• Use light-colored sheets because they help in early detection.
Step 3: Controlling Bed Bugs Safely
It is not an easy task to kill bed bugs completely; the best option is to consult an experienced pest control firm to rid your home of pests. Follow the tips below to exterminate bed bugs effectively:
• Initial assessment of the intensity of bed bug infestation is key. The bed bug removal firm must conduct a thorough inspection for effective cleaning and treatments.
• Inspect mattresses, box springs, bed frames, carpets, crack and crevices that bed bugs may hide in.
• Vacuuming the mattress and the box springs and enclose them in zippered encasements.
• Wash clothing, pillows and bedding in hot water or dry them with the hottest setting for at least twenty minutes.
Using Pesticides Or Bed Bug Sprays
If infestation detected, resist the urge to use “bombs” or bed bug sprays. Recent researches proved that bed bugs are resistant to many available pesticides (Pyrethroids); using such pesticides will only increase your exposure to more toxins. As chemical pesticides are poisons, they should be used very carefully. If pesticides are to be used, consult with professional pest control company to deal with bed bugs.
Why You Should Hire Pest Control Services?
• Common pesticides will not kill bed bugs and cause them to spread and infest other parts of your home.
• Bug bombs and chemical sprays are only “contact killer”. They do not reach into the cracks and crevices and into clutter where bugs hide.
• Insect repellents sprayed on mattresses will not kill the bed bugs. And excessive use of such chemicals can pose health threats.
• Trained and licensed professionals have most effective insecticides and they require specialized equipment.
• Experienced Pest Control companies know how to detect and treat bed bugs as they have an assortment of pest management tools at their disposal.
• Chemical sprays alone will not exterminate bed bugs.
Experience Pest Control Firms
Do some research before hiring a bed bug removal firm. Try to find out a bed bug removal firm which use the HEAT TREATMENT to kill bed bugs, because heat treatment is only available option which kill bed bugs and their eggs completely (heat penetrate everywhere). Ask pest removal firm for a list of local references to learn about their past performance in treating bed bugs.